Laptop & PC Specialists
Call Now: 01922 474 405

Do you have a problem with your Laptop or PC? Does it have viruses and take long to start up? Or do you have an issue with your Laptop or PC you are not happy about? Then pop down to Akoyatech and we will be happy to help you! Read More

Best selection of premium Joomla 1.6 templates

FAQ: Frequently Asked Questions


WHY WON'T MY LAPTOP POWER UP?

If your laptop can not be powered up, the possibilities would include: a faulty ac adaptor; a faulty battery; or a faulty motherboard. Our advice is: test each part on your laptop separately. If you have a faulty motherboard, you need to send it to the manufacturer to have it replaced or just contact us to see if we can help you and repair your laptop at an affordable price.

WHY IS THERE NO DISPLAY ON MY LAPTOP?

If you continue to see lights on the LED boards, but no display on the TFT LCD screen, it is called "no display". This will be due to: a dead LCD panel; a dead motherboard; a faulty CPU; a faulty memory stick, or even a smaller part which is faulty in your laptop. Our advice for a No Display fault is: send your laptop to a professional engineer to check it out. This is preferable to messing up your precious laptop by attempting to mend it yourself. Ultimately, you could make the situation worse and your laptop may end up costing you a fortune.

WHY IS MY LAPTOP BATTERY NOT CHARGING EFFECTIVELY?

Normally this laptop problem is just due to the lifetime of the battery. Many manufacturers only provide six months warranty to their customers. If a laptop battery is faulty, you normally need to purchase a new one from the manufacturer. Do not forget that on occasion this may be due to a faulty motherboard as well. Our advice is not to rush out and buy an expensive battery before you have a diagnosis done of the motherboard. Sometimes, repairing a motherboard is cheaper than purchasing a new battery for your laptop. A new laptop battery would be a fortune to buy.

HOW DOES BIOS UPDATE WORK?

We often receive enquiries about Bios update on laptops. However, we also hear lots of terrible reports that after bios is updated, the laptop is completely dead or simply doesn't work properly. Our advice is: leave the bios as a manufacturing setting, or send the laptop to an expert for bios update.

IS MY LAPTOP DISPLAY ABNORMAL?

If your laptop has an abnormal display it might be simply due to a loose connection inside the LCD screen or inside the base case of the laptop. Sometimes this is because of a faulty LCD or a faulty VGA chipset on the motherboard. We advise that your laptop will need motherboard level repair. Always send the laptop to a professional motherboard repair centre for this.

THERE IS NO BACKLIGHT BUT I CAN SEE VERY DIM TEXT ON THE SCREEN OF MY LAPTOP:

Often the main cause is that the laptop maybe faulty with an invertboard. However, sometimes the TFT LCD panel is faulty and even in extreme cases the motherboard may be faulty on your laptop. Again, this is work for a professional. Not only is there High Voltage on the invertboard, but attempting to mend this yourself would mean that your warranty was invalid.

WHY IS MY LAPTOP STILL FAILING AFTER A REPLACEMENT OF A NEW MEMORY STICK?

Sometimes customers say that when a new memory stick is used, the laptop still fails. This is due to a faulty memory stick caused during handling because it needs to be done in an antistatic environment. Of cause, this would be a problem with dry solder on motherboard. Sometimes, a failure in a BGA chipset confuses with a memory failure. The symptom is similar to each other, some engineers would identify the problem wrongly.

HOW DO I KNOW THE HARD DRIVE (HDD) IS FAULTY IN MY LAPTOP?

To identify if or not a hard drive in your laptop is faulty is not a easy job for a laptop user. Sometimes, you would hear some noises coming from the hard drive region inside the bottom case of the laptop, sometimes, you will find an error message in the bios page following you turned on your laptop for seconds. However, you should seek advice from a professional or send your laptop to a specialist service supplier for further identification of the errors in order to back up your valuable data.

HOW TO JUDGE WHETHER OR NOT A DVD-ROM OR DVD DRIVE IS FAULTY IN MY LAPTOP?

To judge if or not a DVD-rom or DVD drive is faulty is not as difficult as to identify a faulty HDD. Mostly, if you can not use the DVD rom to record, or play CD discs, that 80% chance is due to a faulty DVD-rom, 20% of the chance might be due to a faulty motherboard. If you have a spare DVD-rom on your hand, you would try to replace it but being very carefully not causing damage to the connector on the internal motherboard. Otherwise, you should seek professional advice for this.

WHAT ABOUT LIQUID DAMAGE OF MY LAPTOP?

Liquid damage on a keyboard may well damage the motherboard. However, if the laptop still shows a normal display, you are lucky that only the keyboard itself is damaged. In this case, we still advise you to thoroughly clean the laptop case including the motherboard as well because spillages cause slow corrosion of the IC chipset on the motherboard, in the future therefore causing a permanent failure of the laptop.

WHAT DOES IC CHIPSET LEVEL REPAIR MEAN?

IC chipset level repair means carrying out repairs on the motherboard including major IC chipset. Sometimes, this needs major VGA/ BGA chips replacement. We have advanced VGA workstations for this purpose. Once the motherboard is replaced with a new VGA chipset, the quality is the same as a new motherboard. Hence, this would save a considerable amount for you. We do a considerable amount of VGA chipset replacement: over 1000 pieces a month. Hence, the experience of our engineers on this job is considerable.

WHAT IS THE TURN AROUND TIME FOR REPAIRING MY LAPTOP?

For normal repairs, we allow five working days turn around time. If any parts are out of stock, we are able to source them in the space of a week. We will obviously keep you informed and advise you of the best solution. If you want your laptop to be fixed urgently, there is an extra charge of £5.

HOW CAN I GET A QUOTE BEFORE SENDING IN MY COMPUTER FOR REPAIR?

We suggest you ask for a quote before you send your laptop to us. You are able to gain a quick quote by using the "contact form" section on the contact page of our website.

WHY ARE WE THE BEST CHOICE FOR YOUR LAPTOP REPAIR?

We are the only third party maintenance company for NEC, Packard Bell, MITAC laptops in England. We are also the largest notebook motherboard repair centre in England. Our monthly output for motherboard repair is over 3000 pieces. All of our engineers are educated to degree standard in electronics. Our team has many years of experience in motherboard repair and notebook repair. We are knowledgeable in fixing the full range of MITAC products, and as well as other major makes such as Dell, ECS, Uniwill, Acer, Samsung, SONY, Toshiba, ASUS, BENQ etc. In addition to our wealth of experience, the price we charge our customers is unbeatable in the UK. We do also offer a no-fix-no-fee service whereby you will only have to stand the cost of the delivery fee to return your laptop.

CAN I JUST BUY THE PART FROM YOU?

Yes if you are confident you are able to complete the job on your laptop yourself. If you require a part, please clearly specify the make and model and part number.

HOW LONG SHOULD A LAPTOP BATTERY CHARGE LAST?

This purely depends on the make, type and capacity of the battery. Normally it lasts for around 1-3 hours. In special model, this would last for 4-6 hours.

DO YOU OFFER AN INTERNATIONAL REPAIR SERVICE?

We repair laptops if you are in the EU. Of course, if you are prepared to pay the delivery fee, we will repair your laptop from any corner of the earth.

DO YOU SELL REFURBISHED LAPTOPS?

Yes, we sell anything from refurbished to brand new laptops without brands and logos. These start at £50. Please ring us to check our range of stock.

DO YOU PROVIDE ANY SOFTWARE DEVELOPMENT SERVICES?

Yes, we are able to develop any type of software for you. We have a professional software developer with post-doctoral experience. The software can be specifically tailored to any requests you might have.

WHAT IS MY WARRANTY?

Warranty for our repair service is one month, for new products sold it is one year.

ARE THERE ANY SPECIAL REGULATIONS OR RESTRICTIONS?

Yes, for some special parts such as the LCD panel. This is a special order item. Once it is ordered it is non-cancellable and non-returnable after you receive it for any reason other than manufacturers defect. Defects are to be determined by the manufacturer and are subject to their discretion to replace. Should the part be damaged in shipment, you will need to file a claim with the Freight Company. Sorry, no refunds, replacements only.

AKOYATECH is capable of providing IT solutions,

HOW SHOULD I CLEAN MY LAPTOP LCD PANEL?

Please use a professional foam cleaner or TFT LCD cleaner. Do not use water for this.

WHY DOES MY LAPTOP SOMETIMES SHUT ITSELF DOWN?

This happens if (1) you use your laptop for game playing for a long period of time: the laptop has become too hot; (2) if you use your laptop on top of bed sheets or a quilt: this also makes it too hot; (3) if the CPU is faulty; (4) if the motherboard is faulty; (5) If the CPU fan is faulty .

WHAT SORT OF LAPTOPS DO YOU REPAIR?

Any makes and types, please call us for information.

 

If you have more issues or problems, please contact Akoyatech on 01922 474 405. We will return to you with a competitive quote.